Thank you for coming!
Although #OREC2023 has ended, we want to thank all of you who made such a productive, successful, and yes fun event possible: our speakers and panelists, sponsors, venue/catering/print partners, and of course, our guests. We can't wait to see you all again soon. Until then, safe travels, be well, and keep making more exciting progress and advancements to share at the event next year!
<3 – The entire POET team
Annual Marine Energy Conference
Leadership. Experience. Solutions.
Welcome back to the Ocean Renewable Energy Conference. OREC 2023 took place June 21-22, 2023, at the World Forestry Center in Portland, Oregon. Sessions and discussion focused on a broad range of subjects describing the marine energy sector and included opportunities to stay up to date on key developments such as testing infrastructure and Blue Economy opportunities.
Stay tuned here for more information on OREC 2024 soon!
Many thanks to our sponsors who helped make this event possible.
Agenda at a Glance
See below for OREC's run of show, list of speakers, and presentations from those who have approved distribution of their slides.
8 a.m. – Registration
9 a.m. – Welcome to OREC
9:15 a.m. – Regional Energy Discussion
- Bill Henry, POET – moderator
- Adam Schultz, California ISO (PPT)
- Jason Sierman, Oregon Department of Energy (PDF)
- Andy Eiden, Portland General Electric (PPT)
10:15 a.m. – Break
10:45 a.m. – University Programs and Opportunities – UMERC, ORISE, MECC
- Samantha Quinn, POET – moderator (PPT)
- Allison Johnson, U.S. Department of Energy Water Power Technologies Office (PDF)
- Arielle Cardinal, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (PPT)
12 p.m. – Lunch
1 p.m. – Blue Economy Spotlight – Ocean Observation
- Andrea Copping, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory – moderator
- Ben McGilton, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (PPT)
- Senu Sirnivas, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (PDF)
- Ruth Branch, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PPT)
- Rob Cavagnaro, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PPT)
- Tim Mundon, Oscilla Power
- Kristi Terrasa, C-Power (PDF)
2:30 p.m. – Environmental Panel
- Andrea Copping, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory –moderator (PPT)
- Justin Klure, Pacific Energy Ventures
- Cameron Fisher, 48 North Solutions, Inc. (PPT)
- Mikaela Freeman, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PPT)
- Denis Nault, U.S. Department of Energy Water Power Technologies Office
- Jason Busch, POET (PPT)
3:45 p.m. – Break
4 p.m. – PacWave Update
- Dan Hellin, PacWave
4:30 p.m. – WPTO and D.C. Update
- Beth Hartman, U.S. Department of Energy Water Power Technologies Office (PPT)
- Paul Gay, SMI
- Damian Kunko, SMI
5:30 p.m. – Evening Reception
Venue / Location
World Forestry Center – Portland, Oregon
Interior of Miller Hall. Nestled in the trees of Portland's West Hills, the World Forestry Center adjoins 5200-acre Forest Park, with hiking trails, gardens, and other natural attractions.